Friday, January 26, 2007

Spudded in... December 17, 1980





Oil well numero uno. This is where it all started--the first oil well in the gulf area, right here in Bahrain. This is how this country can afford to pay me. Rachel and I made the trip out to the desert and decided to stop and snag some pictures of the well. I was taken aback when we pulled up because there was zero security around the well, which is situated right next to a small building claiming to be the oil museum (which wasn't open.) No security guards, no tall fences around the well, nothing. I could walk right up and turn one of the handles on the roughly 10 foot tall well if I felt so inclined. And the most amazing thing about this most unimpressive well? It is still functional today (hence the picture of the pressure gauge.) And no, I don't know what the deal is with the big hole fenced off next to the well. There wasn't any explanation on the sign for that, and no one around to ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home