Saturday, May 19, 2007

Field Trips Suck, But Not As Bad As A Normal School Day. Let's Go On A Fieldtrip!!


We took the kids the other week to the King Tut exhibit at the Bahrain National Museum. This is the first time that this exhibit (showing shit from his tomb) has been outside of Egypt, and Bahrain is the only slated stop in the Middle East. So I was fairly excited to go, but not too excited. I have learned that Arabs can really let you down, so in order not to get pissed that the exhibit would be too small or shitty I tried to keep my excitement to a minimum. And lo and behold, the exhibit pretty much sucked. They had enough artifacts to fill about one room, but managed to fill up about 5 by creating a maze that you had to navigate through to get to the next artifact. A royal waste of time, if you ask me. At least I can say I've seen it, though.
This is Rachel's class, at the entrance to the exhibit. They wouldn't allow photography, so I didn't get many pictures. Just inside of this entrance is a guard with an AK-47 that one of my kids thought would be funny to grab as we walked in. I got this look of terror on my face when I saw my kid do it, but to my surprise the guard just laughed. Thank god. That could have been ugly.
After the King Tut bit, we decided to take the kids to a park so they could play some football or whatever on real grass (which is a rarity here.) Luckily, I had the job of going to get the food for them at McDonalds, so I didn't have to ride in one of these cramped busses. Rachel did, though, and got this shot of some of the kids.
Here's the park where we took the kids. You can see a shitload of them off in the distance. And here's me, hot and tired camped out on the ground. I was supposed to be securing the perimeter, but in reality I was just securing my water bottle and entertaining the girls.

Labels: , , ,